I'm helping host a "princess party" at the dancing school tomorrow, which is a great excuse to download old Disney music. I'm making one soundtrack for the dancing/limbo/musical chairs portion of the party and another for the eating cake/coloring portion of the party. I have stuff from almost all the major Disney princess movies, plus Anastasia and Enchanted! Anastasia music is so hard to find, but it's so good ("Journey to the Past," "Once Upon A December"). The music from the musical version of "Cinderella" is also good ("In My Own Little Corner," "Ten Minutes Ago," "A Lovely Night"). Sadly, both are often forgotten, I think, in the sea of princess music.
The Little Mermaid and Aladdin were my two favorite Disney movies as a kid and they still stand the test of time. In fact, all of the princess movies (especially Beauty and the Beast and Pocahontas, in my book) are classics of a bygone Disney era. Disney just doesn't do "happily ever after" and princesses anymore. They barely even let the characters sing! I guess they're appealing to a broader audience that way, but it just seems like something is missing. I used to be their target audience, a little girl playing dress-up and Barbies (well, and Play-doh and cars), and now I just feel a little neglected and abandoned by this relatively new Disney trend.
I'm too old for it, anyway, but it is fun to get back into it for a day. At least Enchanted understands. It's sort of a fairy tale for grown-ups. I forgot how great this song is, too, lyrics and all:
Lyrics | Jon Mclaughlin lyrics - So Close lyrics
Awww.
1 comment:
I'm pretty sure I have the Anastasia soundtrack around here somewhere. It is good!
Post a Comment