Last Saturday marked the one year anniversary of the break-in. Yes, it's only been a year, but it feels like at least two. Lord knows enough has happened since then to warrant two years. That was the first event that put me on the fast track to true adulthood, I think, and it just snowballed after that. Sure, up until then I was living on my own. I also had a real job, a new car...whatever. I was still pretty sheltered. If I had to sum up my year since then in one word, that word would have to be "unbelievable." I had a long streak of ridiculously bad luck, some surprising good luck, and not much in between. Not only did I survive, in some ways I triumphed. I define my success differently now, and I am better off this way.
This reminds me of the time I helped write a farewell to my grade school with the girls in my 8th grade class. One of the girls wanted to say something about graduating and going on to the "real world," and I thought that was a little dramatic. High school didn't exactly seem like the real world, and I wasn't even sure college would qualify. As it turns out, the world doesn't become truly real until it basically crashes down around you. After that, you start building your own reality.
No comments:
Post a Comment