Part of my assignment as a new dance teacher is to write an autobiography about my credentials. The owner is going to hang it in the lobby. Great, again with the spotlight and the public boasting. I am trying to reassure the parents that are sending their kids there, though, so I should probably include some hip hop and choreography accomplishments. I'm sort of embarrassed to even mention my hobbies to new people because I've noticed that it's a little awkward for me and sometimes a little intimidating for them, I guess? If I get into it at all, I usually leave out a hobby or two. (I've found many people work and...uh, watch tv and movies? Go out on occasion? I'm not sure, it's hard to delve into those topics. Everyone has fun stuff that they like to do occasionally, though. I'm just more regimented.)
I left out some awards or experience that seemed insignificant because I am uncomfortable enough with the current level of bragging. I should also point out that any success I've had in choreography has come as a surprise, but it seems I have a knack for it. I mean, it's fun, but I'm not sure what's special about it. I guess I'm almost getting used to talking about myself, though, with the whole resume, interview and work introduction thing, so I decided to post some of my dance experience here. It does make me feel pretty exposed and egotistical, though. :-/ It's just that dance has been a big part of my life for about 15 years, so I thought you might want a better understanding of what that means, exactly. Besides, you've probably known me for a while and didn't know some of this stuff. So (*deep breath*) without further ado:
"Dance and working with children are among my favorite things in the world, and I am thrilled that I am able to combine them both as a dance teacher. I started tumbling when I was 4 and transitioned into dancing school when I was 10. I took jazz, tap, ballet, hip hop, poms and baton classes until I joined dance team in high school at JFK. I became Captain and Lead Choreographer my first year. I choreographed several routines, including a competition dance that they used 2 years in a row and a hip hop routine for our dance coach, a former Rams cheerleader, that she used for Universal Dance Association (UDA) tryouts. (editor's note: eww, rereading this part is especially uncomfortable. Tone it down more than I have, remove it completely, or keep it because these people are supposed to have confidence in me? Help! Ms. Editor, Melissa? Honestly.) In college, I continued dancing and choreographing on dance team, but after graduation, I had trouble finding an adult dance class at my level.
Instead, I tried new, exotic forms of dance and artistic expression—belly dancing, flamenco, and taiko drumming. Belly dancing comes from Middle Eastern cultures. Flamenco is a Spanish style of dance that emphasizes fluid arms and percussive footwork. Taiko (“big drum”) is a Japanese style of ensemble percussion that combines drumming with jazz and martial arts-inspired movements, and I practice regularly with St. Louis Osuwa Taiko. We perform about once a month at various festivals in the Midwest, and our biggest event is the Japanese Festival at Missouri Botanical Garden. All of these styles are very different, but I think that they all add something unique to my choreography. I am glad to get back to the old familiar forms of dance, too.
I am also happy to be working with kids again. For 6 years, I was a day camp counselor at Tiemeyer Park in St. Ann. I developed activities for 7-9 year old girls and I loved that job. After graduation, though, I quit my summer job to pursue a full-time job in my field, graphic design. I still work as a graphic designer.
I am drawn to all forms of artistic expression, but dance is my greatest passion. I am honored to share my enthusiasm and experience with you and your children."
Before I go, I would like to share some fun, embarrassing facts/blackmail about my dance experience, as well:
1. When I was 4, I often performed tap and ballet routines for my parents on a "stage" (2x3' metal board) in the living room, wearing my cousin's recital costumes. It was mostly interpretive dance with lots of big, fluid arm motions in ballet. Go figure. Oh yeah, and I danced to the music on the record player.
2. My first public performance was a dance to Aladdin's "Never Had A Friend Like Me" at my school's talent show in 3rd grade. I danced with a few other girl scouts in tie-dye t-shirts, no less. We learned the routine at a "Girl Scout Out" event. That's how I roll. (Side note: I just realized that was the start of my design career, too, I guess. I designed the patch for that event. Weird.)
2 comments:
OMG the Aladdin dance! That was so great. I don't know when I last thought about that...
As for editing, I personally think it should all be included:
I took jazz, tap, ballet, hip hop, poms and baton classes until I joined dance team in high school at JFK. I became Captain and Lead Choreographer my first year. This position involved choreographing several routines to be performed at football games, pep rallys, etc. One of these dances was used in competition two years in a row. I was also involved in creating a hip hop routine for our dance coach, a former Rams cheerleader, that she used for Universal Dance Association (UDA) tryouts.
Ha, yeah...I wonder if anyone got that on tape.
Thanks for the edit! I was waiting to hear something before I sent it to the owner.
Post a Comment