It's pretty hard to make a cd of hip hop songs for 8-12 year olds that doesn't involve sex or bad language of some kind. (I came across this new song, though. Ghetto fabulous. I really like the dance, too!!) Don't get me wrong, hip hop/r&b is among my favorite genres, but it's becoming less and less appropriate for kids. Whatever happened to metaphors, at least? Half of the songs on the cd so far are from the 90's, when things seemed a little more subtle. For example, R. Kelly did a song back in the day called "Ignition" that said things like "I'm bout to take my key and stick it in the ignition," (not going on the cd, though) and nowadays we get songs like "Birthday Sex," where they say things like, "Just need your body to make birthday sex, birthday sex (G-spot g-spot let me hit that g-spot g-spot girl)." I like both of those songs, to be honest, but "Birthday Sex" is severely lacking in creativity (um, the song...no comment on anyone's personal experience *blush*).
This kind of thing carries over into tv and commercials, too, obviously. Now, I actually think the Quizno's commercial I'm about to show you is hilarious, in a sick kind of way, but I was shocked to see the full version on TV. Have they no shame? (Fun fact: A periscope flashes for half a second in :06.) "Not doing that again. That burned?" "Put it in me?" Haha, wow. There's an edited version on TV now, but it's just not the same as the original:
I suppose, while I'm at it, I will leave you with a wise fortune from a recent fortune cookie, open to interpretation: "You will lose the small ones but win the big ones." Ha.
Well, now that I have gotten that out of my system, it's time to finish up that kiddie cd...
No comments:
Post a Comment