Phew, I am exhausted, yet I'm not quite ready for bed. Besides, I'm watching Good Will Hunting, and I think that I love this movie. I thought I had seen it before, but I don't remember most of this. Where the hell have I been?! Robin Williams is not even annoying.
Earlier tonight I helped babysit kids at dancing school for a "parents' night out." It was kind of crazy, as expected, but not as out of hand as it could have been. We danced, played games, did crafts, jump rope, face painting, movies, dinner...a lot, in 4 hours.
I choreographed a dance to that "Lip Gloss" song in an hour, right before I left to babysit. It's not my favorite song, but it was the perfect choice for this group. My silly and playful sides totally come out in my choreography, and it went over really well. Hanging around kids also brings out that side, and I forgot about the random hugs and all that comes with that (from them). Kids are also a great ego boost.
There were only a few boys and they were under 6 years old, but I think 4 out of 6 of them cried at least once! None of the girls did. The boys cried about things like losing a game or having to sit down. Oh, and one little boy cried when his belt broke, but I came to the rescue with some tape. I spent five years as a camp counselor for 7 or 8 year old girls, one year for 8 year old boys, and I swear there was more crying in that one year the other five combined. It cracks me up because these little boys are supposed to grow up to be "tough" men. It's a shame that society teaches them to suppress that sensitive side, actually.
Tonight reminded me that I do seem to have a way with children, but I still can't really pinpoint why. (Another example: My most recent random child greeting came from the little boy two houses down, whom I have never met or really seen. As I left my house, he shouted "hello" and waved.) I guess, at a base level, it's a combination of patience and respect for them. Actually, in my opinion, little kids are more worthy of respect than some adults. Kids are generally more authentic to me. They're not as judgmental, malicious, and jaded as adults, either. They could teach us a thing or two. Plus, we were all kids once, and sometimes adults forget what that means. It's nice to be reminded of that sometimes.
Okay, the movie is over, which means it's time for bed. There are many good quotes in there, but I guess I'll end with just a few of them:
"Sean: Do you have a soul mate?
Will: Define that.
Sean: Someone you can relate to, someone who opens things up for you."
"Sean: You're not perfect sport, and let me save you the suspense, this girl you've met she's not perfect either. But the question is whether or not you're perfect for each other."
"Will: Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll give it a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. So I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, 'cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never had a problem with get killed....So what do I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. Why not just shoot my buddy, take his job and give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president."
No comments:
Post a Comment