When did apathy become the norm for my generation? Anyone with an independent, informed and passionate opinion about anything of substance (i.e. not Britney and the like) is relatively hard to find. Did our parents spoil and shelter us to the point that we simply lost the capacity to care about serious issues and people that exist outside of our own little worlds?
No, I don't think we can blame all of this on our parents. After all, they were the ones inciting riots and sticking it to "The Man" during Vietnam. They had strong beliefs and a passion for social justice; we have...youtube and video games? Iraq has become our Vietnam, and it seems that we would rather hide behind a computer screen than actually do anything about it.
On top of that, several of my friends didn't even acknowledge any problem until recently! I guess most of us assumed it was someone else's problem and that mommy and daddy would take care of it again. Well, that didn't work this time. The government failed us on a monumental level, and we pretty much sat back and watched them do it; or rather, failed to watch them at all. By the time we started truly questioning them, it was time for the clean-up crew.
Even though I wasn't alive during Vietnam, I echo their sentiments. I want to show my devotion to a cause by joining my peers in protest! I want to go back to a time when music actually meant something important. When, exactly, did that go out of style?
No comments:
Post a Comment