Saturday, August 23, 2008

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

I broke my hand barely over a week ago, and it is starting to feel better already. I can open and close all my fingers fairly comfortably. Since I have a removable brace instead of a cast, I am tempted to do things that I really shouldn't be doing yet. Namely, play taiko. Even the thought of hitting a drum with this hand hurts, but I can still pretend to hit a drum, right? Once I am able to hold the bachi, at least....maybe just for tsurugi? Oh, I'm losing my own argument.

Last night I met someone who had a sister with the same thing. He said it should only take 4 weeks to heal, which could mean that I don't have to skip all of taiko in September! He also said that she had random pains in her hand for about a year after that, but I'm going to assume that she has a low pain tolerance. She went to the ER 4 hours later, after the shock of the car accident wore off; I went to the doctor 60 hours later, when insurance was settled and I didn't have other plans. I play taiko, bitches. Pain comes with the territory.

This is called a "boxer's fracture," and for all you really know, this could be what I do when I get angry. I don't punch drywall, I punch solid wood. The door frame won this one, but trust that I would have kicked the wall's ass. Watch out, you could be next. :-P

No comments: