Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Happy birthday to me

My birthday is not exactly "happy" this year. I broke my left hand (metacarpal of my ring finger)and I am left-handed. I guess the pressure of my fall just snapped it. That explains the popping noise. Yuck. I am so disappointed and feeling maybe a little defeated right now. When will this madness stop?

I can't even think of a worse possible time for this to happen (well, maybe next week when we would have more trouble redoing the taiko set). It's right before the busy season with taiko and our biggest show of the year, and I can't play. I will probably have a cast for 6-8 weeks, which cancels out all of September. On top of that, I am still looking for a job and I really think I'm on the verge of finding something. I use my right hand for design work, at least, but a bum left hand will not help my cause.

Fortunately, I am still able to do most things comfortably with my right hand, and it's because I've had plenty of practice. The world caters to right-handed people and lefties just have to adjust--I guess you could say our right hands have evolved. I've always played sports right-handed. I have no problem using it when I eat, brush my teeth, etc. The only thing I can't do is write. A right-handed person would have a much more difficult time if they had to stop using their right hand, I think.

I can't believe this is happening, but I'll get by with a little help from my friends (*cue song*). I may never get over the fact that my favorite pair of jeans turned against me, though.

1 comment:

scintillating madness said...

your favorite pair of jeans?? hmm...