I normally hate watching the local news, but I was flipping channels and came across something that caught my attention. See, there is a Catholic Church in St. Louis, St. Stanislaus, that has been fighting with the archdiocese for years over ownership. The church has been around for 130 years and wants to continue to maintain it's independence from the archdiocese; the archdiocese wants them to join so they can get their money and own their property. The archbishop excommunicated the parish in 2005 and both sides have been fighting since then, but the parish is still up and running. Today, the pope dismissed the priest from the clergy, but the priest says he will continue to serve at that church.
So let me get this straight--molest little boys and the archdiocese might transfer you to a different church or suspend you, but do your priestly duties against greedy archdiocesan wishes and the pope will kick you out? Okay, someone's not thinking this through. Again. I think that's further proof that the Catholic Church is hurtling off track and becoming exceedingly self-absorbed. The fact that the priest is staying there anyway is awesome, though, and it kind of makes me want to go there, if only to make a statement. Take that, archdiocese!
p.s. Perhaps "sticking it to the man" should be an ongoing series within my blog.
p.s. Haha, I really like this!
No comments:
Post a Comment