Okay, I was only planning on one post today, but then that little quote to the right sparked my memory. It says "Death may be the greatest of all human blessings." I point that out because it goes along with a play I saw yesterday. In the play, an old woman is in a coma on her death bed, looking back at herself through the years. The 26, 52, and 92-year-old versions of herself are duking it out, justifying their motives and explaining where they are in life. She has changed so much that each version of herself is at odds with the other two, trying to come to grips with how life panned out. In the end, the woman decides that her happiest moment is when it's all over and she can finally stop.
It makes me wonder. I suppose there is some truth to that statement, but how much? And how depressing. Of course, I identified with that 26-year-old in the play, still full of optimism and denying that things were mostly going to get worse instead of better. However, I also recognized pieces of my mom and my aunts in the middle-aged woman. Do we change that much over the years? Will life inevitably snuff out that spark?
I hope not. I already see the treachery in the world, but I try to focus on the good things. It takes constant effort, and part of me wonders if I will be able to keep those shadows at bay forever. I feel like I have already changed rather significantly over the years, also, and even now, there are parts of my earlier self that I would rather forget. I am in a constant state of change and growth, though, and I guess only time will tell what that really means.
p.s. Oh no! The Daily Show reminds me that I missed the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) convention. All my friends were there: Bush, Cheney, Limbaugh, Romney, Coulter...Now that's a party.
No comments:
Post a Comment