Sunday, March 29, 2009

Free association

I should just go to bed. I spent all day running around and I am rather tired, but I am compelled to write something. What? I don't know yet. Maybe it will materialize in this process. Or maybe not, in which case I just wasted 5 minutes of your life. It's time for some mindless entertainment on this blog though, right? It feels like it's been bogged down with articles and opinions lately, so let's lighten it up a little. There's plenty more where that other stuff came from, though. Stay tuned...

You know, I realized today that I don't really mind doing laundry. I put it off for way too long and then spend several hours on it, but then I turn it into a game: How many other things can I do while I wait for the timer to go off? Shower and fix hair? Check. Lunch? Check. Read a certain amount of pages in a book? Watch a movie? The possibilities are endless! Um, relatively. It's a race against the clock!...Okay, I need to get out more.

Actually no, that's the problem. I have been going out so much that I am finding joy in mundane activities like laundry, probably mostly because it gives me an excuse to be at home for a certain amount of time. Am I over-scheduling myself again? Possibly. It's so tempting, though. There are so many things I want to do and just not enough days in the week to do them. I'm used to a busy routine, and this time I'm filling it up with fun stuff, so I haven't quite figured out where to draw the line.

Starting tomorrow, I have a weekly event (outside of work) planned every day except Friday and Saturday (and Sat. is questionable with occasional belly dancing). Should I pass on Wednesday's new flamenco class? I guess I have until Wednesday to decide, but oh it's hard to pass up a dance class. I'm already supposed to set aside time for happy hour with Ali on that day...I have to schedule phone calls with my other friends that live out of town just to make sure we keep in touch.

Super multi-tasking is fun for me, though. I think I have been pursuing at least one hobby on nearly a weekly basis since kindergarten. I just always seemed to be interested in participating in or learning something outside of work or school, and it was never forced on me. Sometimes I wonder how I did it all. Did I sleep?

Do I even sleep now? Good question. Maybe I'll find out in a minute...

No comments: