Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Bowl game vs. commercials: game wins!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but yesterday's game was more entertaining than the commercials. I normally don't even like football, and I have to admit that I actually read a book through most of the first half; however, the rest of the game was pretty amazing. Too bad the Cardinals lost, though, because it would have been nice to see Kurt Warner's team win.

The best compliment I can give the commercials is that almost all of them made sense this year. Last year they seemed to go for shock value instead of actual substance or relevance to the brand. I remember thinking "what?" after a majority of last year's commercials, and I'm usually fairly good at deciphering them. I guess the Crystal Ball Doritos and Pepsi "then and now" commercials were my favorites, maybe also the Taco Bell one. Whatever.

I went to my grandpa's and had a small family thing with large amounts of snacks. My grandpa somehow slept through almost the whole thing, even through most of the cheering. I mentioned it to my mom, and she said she thought it was because of his heart. She remembered my grandma (her mom) doing that towards the end, but she didn't really think anything of it at the time. So...that's sad. I guess we're all sort of bracing for that kind of thing, though, slowly but surely.

Wow, it's been 8 years since my last grandma passed away, on February 11. The funeral was February 14, so it kind of always casts a shadow on Valentine's Day for me; but hey, that means that every other Valentine's Day cannot be all that bad, right? I'm actually looking forward to this one.

This year has started out on the right foot, and the month of January has already been better than almost any combination of maybe 5 months in 2008. Hopefully, it will continue to improve!

No comments: