Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day of Dance

Happy Dance Day! Or something like that. Today St. Luke's Hospital sponsored a "Day of Dance" for women's health and fitness. It's a national thing, and today was the first time St. Louis participated. Obviously, I couldn't miss it. I learned dance steps to a hip hop, zumba (Latin dance fitness thing), hula, and belly dance! Each session lasted 20 minutes. It was pretty crowded and the old people that tried it were completely adorable. I went by myself, but I had nice conversations with a few people about my "make art not war" shirt. One girl was an art student at Maryville and another lady was a counselor who was starting a class on how creative people are sort of on the outside of society (true, but no one talks about it). I actually talked to that counselor for probably 20 minutes straight, and then she had to meet someone for lunch.

I also got the name, address, and phone number of the hip hop dance teacher. I saw her at The Loop's dance festival last summer and looked up the dance studio online, but didn't pursue it too much. I tried contacting them but never got a hold of them, so that is sort of why I went with flamenco and belly dancing. This would be a "lyrical hip hop" class, though, which is basically jazz and hip hop combined!! If it works with my schedule, that will definitely my next venture. They have a pay as you go deal, too, like flamenco.

I've been slacking on the flamenco classes, however, because it's hard to get up early on Saturday to go. In April they are offering a Wednesday evening class, so that will be much easier! It's a beginner class for people with dance experience, which is perfect...Uh yes, in case you were wondering, that means I'll have taiko on Tuesday and Thursday, flamenco on Wednesday, belly dancing every so often on Saturday, and lyrical hip hop hopefully sometime in between that. I'm so excited!

There just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do sometimes. I would be considering tahitian again (basically hula on crack) now that I know of a dance studio that does it, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Although, don't be surprised if I get into that somewhere down the road. :) For now, I will satisfy my hula appetite by attending a luah on May 1, I hope. It's just an hour outside of St. Louis and $15 for a meal and a show! How fun is that?! If I can't go to Hawaii now, I can at least pretend.

I have no idea what life would be like without dance and music, and I never want to find out.

No comments: