I just filled out an employee profile for my new job, which will be hung in the kitchen (ha, great). I wrote about dance and taiko and mentioned that I liked to write and travel. I am really a hippie compared to most people at an insurance company, but at Momentum, I was just your average, almost subdued "free spirit" type (as my mom likes to call us creatives). I'm used to seeing and doing things differently than most people, though, so I don't really mind. The company and atmosphere at this new place are definitely miles away from what I'm used to, but it's kind of nice.
For instance, I can't wrap my head around the fact that I am scheduled to work 22.5 hours a week, and after that . . .I. Just. Leave?! Pack up and go, simple as that. The work patiently waits for my return and the world does not end in the process. Hmm. I'm still looking for the catch, but I could get used to this. I could also get used to being off on Wednesdays and Fridays, for the time being. My supervisor asked me how my day off was yesterday--I told her that it was weird being off in the middle of the week, but kind of nice. She told me that I shouldn't get too used to it, because I would have to work 5 days a week when I'm full time. As in, after they hire me. It's still early and nothing is guaranteed, but I would say that's a good sign. They like my work and they trust my judgement already, which both motivate me to work hard and to do my best. (Whereas, by the way, a lack of trust and cooperation by a client is rather self-fulfilling. If I feel like that trust is never there, I will only despise the work and do the bare minimum. I'm talking to you, taiko projects. In an effort to make everyone happy and to get them to agree on something, I oversimplify the design or just get overwhelmed at the idea and don't really try. Besides, any effort is followed by uneducated direction from self-proclaimed design experts, a.k.a. engineers and computer programmers, because a design degree and years of national design experience are irrelevant. Great! That means I don't have to feel guilty when I continue to focus my time and efforts on paid projects that people actually appreciate! :-) Rant, rant, rant. I digress...)
I didn't realize how much I missed designing until I started it again. Now I'm back in the groove. I am building the look and feel of this company's brand from the ground up, by myself this time. It feels like my 2 1/2 years at Momentum equals about 4 years of experience, (designing for 14 unique brands, 25+ clients, the work load and crazy hours, etc., should equal at least that much) and I am fully prepared to be the sole designer at this company. My supervisor is awesome, too, and I already really admire her. I won't learn anything about design from her (and she won't try to teach me, because that's not her field), but I could learn a lot about life and business, I think. This is not what I expected, but it could work out, after all.
1 comment:
Glad to hear it's going well!
Post a Comment