Wednesday, December 31, 2008

First Night

My taiko group is performing at First Night tonight at The Sheldon, and I'm pretty excited. I'm playing our signature song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3id_MMUFhyU) and some other good ones. It's going to be a workout. This is probably our second biggest performance of the year, so I'm glad I'm actually playing in it this time. It helps make up for my absence at the Japanese Festival.

Speaking of First Night, I was listening to (recently-discovered) theradio.com and came across this song by Monica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86gNefVZ03w. I love it! I barely remember it from back in the day, but now I am sort of obsessed with it. Plus, this is totally my style of dance--laid back, kind of sassy hip hop. I could spend all day on theradio.com without getting bored, since it has so many types of music. I listened to 90's #1 songs all day at work yesterday, and that was pretty awesome. It brought back memories of dance recitals, skating rinks, sleepovers, and everything else that comes with growing up. R&B makes up most of my favorite music from the 90's (Usher, TLC, Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, Toni Braxton, Lauryn Hill, Brandy, Monica, Aaliyah, etc.), and it's still one of my favorite genres. Here's a flashback of some 90's classics that I still really like:
Usher "My Way": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8otWyLx6IQ
Boyz II Men "Water Runs Dry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxCiAXJpk_4
Mariah Carey "Always Be My Baby": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QapwJpAe7w
Aaliyah "Are You That Somebody?": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHnzjV8SaEY
Toni Braxton "You're Making Me High": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAbY3caYkpM (wow, never saw this video before, although I do remember a dance to it)
TLC "Waterfalls": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-n-jZJhpT4 (I know this rap! R.I.P. Lefteye)
Brandy & Monica "The Boy Is Mine": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1MsvKmgKKc

Aah, it's hard to stop! Okay fine. Well, Happy New Year!

No comments: