Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The fruits of my labor

When I feel the need to stall for time at work, I write, because I can't surf the internet or even check my personal email. Without further ado, here is today's entry, originally scribbled on the nearest notepad:

They call this a marketing "emergency?" This is nothing. I can do this in 5 minutes, and they don't need it for a couple hours. I'll give it another 15 minutes, anyway, to avoid being overly efficient. Maybe I'll take the long way to the bathroom, too, and I don't even have to go. I have to do something to slow down my pace, though, because I'm sort of flying through this stuff.

Thank God the powerpoint portion of my projects is over. I hate powerpoint because design control is very limited and often completely ignored. Originally, I was only supposed to create a template background and let the sales people run wild with the rest of the presentation, but that kind of bothered me. Instead, I made the template and also recreated an entire presentation with decent type and design sensibilities, as an example. Of course, then I had to redo 8 more of the 30 page presentations, but at least they look much better and I created more work for myself (extending my time?). I will never be completely satisfied with anything in powerpoint, though, because the leading and kerning are haphazardly set by the program and I can't adjust it. In short, powerpoint is a designer's worst enemy. Well, that, comic sans, and widows/orphans (one word left on it's own line at the top or bottom of a paragraph--a cardinal sin!).

Did I mention my supervisor is awesome? She had a Christmas present waiting for me on my desk this morning. It was a cool little ornament. (The company also gave out college-esque sweatshirts to everyone for Christmas.) That means I need to get her something, but I don't know what. At least I have a little time to figure it out.

I have been at this job for three full weeks and I just got my first paycheck yesterday. It turns out that it only includes payment for one week, though, and I don't get paid for the other two until December 30. Yeah...I have a few presents already, but I would like to give more.

Christmas should be about spending time with people you don't see that often, anyway. We only exchange white elephant gifts on my mom's side, and I opted out of exchanging presents on my dad's side this year. My cousins' kids on my dad's side are the only ones that should be young enough to "need" presents on Christmas, anyway. I kind of made my own little statement, too, by using that money to buy a present for the adopted family at work.

Oh, and I won something again. My mom put my name in some raffle for a basket of holiday kitchen towels and a book about big cats. Haha! Uh, not exactly the Rockettes tickets I was counting on winning, but it's good for a laugh. I'll keep the towels and maybe use the book for a white elephant gift. The last time I won something was 3 months ago. I was saving up my luck for Rockettes tickets, but that obviously misfired. Maybe I used the rest of that up in that crazy 6 day turnaround. It's too late to win tickets, but I'm still debating on whether or not I will just accept the defeat and buy tickets. I really want to see the show, but I don't really want to have to drag someone else along with me. I guess I only have a little over a week to make up my mind at this point. Christmas is almost here!

Well, it's probably time to get back to that "emergency"...

p.s. Song in my head: "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey. :) Love it!

No comments: