I've been realizing I have a pretty eclectic group of friends, which is awesome--party people, non-drinkers, musicians/music buffs, artists, science types, churchgoers (including a nun), atheists, hipsters, republicans/independents/democrats, married people, single people, and everything in between--I think I can relate to something in all of them (of course, some more than others). They represent different facets of myself, as I assume most friends do. I have an emotional connection to all of them on some level, and a pretty strong connection with a select few. Actually, I tend to have emotional connections to people that I don't even really know, too. If I hear about some tragedy on the news, for example, I feel for those people and imagine myself in that situation.
Along with this wealth of empathy, I guess you could say, comes my ability to sometimes sense another person's feelings or intentions before that person is consciously aware of them. Occasionally, I will not only sense a disconnect between thoughts and emotions, but I think I can pinpoint where that mental block comes from, as well. I'm not trying to brag, but when my intuition really "knows" something, subsequent events will bear it out. Somehow, I still don't completely believe it until it actually happens, even though experience has confirmed there is no point in second guessing myself. I usually only bring this awareness to the other person's attention if they ask me directly, though, and I present it as just a hunch; otherwise, if it doesn't involve me directly, it's not my place to point it out. I might offer guidance or just hope that they figure it out on their own, even if they sometimes have to do it the hard way.
If it does involve me, though, I have a dilemma. Do I still leave it alone and hope that they figure it out themselves, or do I instead at least hint at what I see? Why would someone else trust that I know what they feel better than they do, anyway, regardless of my track record? It just seems so obvious to me that I assume it's obvious to them, also, and that is not always the case. I have found that if I do mention my observations and discover that the other person is unaware of them, their first reaction is usually denial and/or confusion, followed by possible anger, but after a bit of thought or introspection, I honestly think they see where I'm coming from. I'm certainly not trying to hurt anyone, I'm just trying to open their eyes--rather, their hearts or minds--to a better insight into themselves or the situation. I don't dictate to anyone; I just offer my analysis for their consideration. Sometimes it's easier to see the inconsistencies and motives in others than it is in myself, I think, and I even consider myself to be pretty self-aware. I personally would welcome a subtle nudge towards self discovery, but I don't speak for everyone. Who knows? Maybe those people are better off figuring it out on their own, but that doesn't always happen. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut. We'll see what happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment