Ugh I don't want to go back to work. I had a 4 day weekend and I was busy the whole time, in a good way. Friday I had lunch with a couple old Momentum co-workers and ran a million errands. My aunt from California was in town, too, and I saw her for a little while. Then Joel and I went to the horse races for his birthday, which was pretty fun. I won 3 out of 4 races, too. I picked the horses mostly intuitively, based on the names, numbers, and sometimes how they looked--how I "felt" about them. Of course, Joel picked them based on "math" and "statistics," but did not do as well. That just goes to show that facts don't always trump feelings, I say. Next time I will trust my intuition with more money, though, because I didn't really win much with a $2 or $3 bet.
After that we went to a crazy karaoke bar on Hampton (Talayna's), the one with mirrored walls and ceilings, neon lights, and dozens of disco balls. We both signed up for karaoke but chickened out before they called either of our names. I was going to do "The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson because it's one of my MJ favorites. I ran into a girl from high school and some of her friends (my "fake talking" buddy in the high school musical), who coaxed me into it. They were going to be my backup singers, but it took too long to call my name and after they left I really didn't want to do it. That was a close call; however, I am now determined to do a karaoke song all by myself someday soon, and that song will be....drum roll..."Abracadabra" by Steve Miller Band. It was my signature song when I was 4 and I used to dance to it all the time in the living room (my parents had the record). My extended family remembers me singing it for them, so I've done it before and I know it like the back of my hand. Wish me luck.
Saturday Linda and I left for Kansas City. We started in Crown Center and saw some cool sculptures and portraits made out of legos. Man, it makes me wish I had made a career out of playing with Play-doh or plastic play food somehow. When I was 7 I remember telling my parents that I wished I could still just "play all day like I did when I was 4"--you know, simpler times. I should have run with my toy art career then, but I guess I missed the boat.
Later we went to dinner at a brewery and sampled 11 different beers. It only came with 6 officially, but our waiter was feeling generous and we were feeling...grateful, but slightly on the verge of nauseous. We could have done without a few of those, but we powered through them, anyway. I mean, we couldn't be rude! We walked to the Mat Kearney concert down the street, which was our official reason for being in Kansas City in the first place. I didn't know his music that well, but it was still pretty good. Later we stopped by the "Power & Light District," the new popular hangout that is full of well, lights, as you can imagine, as well as loud music and bars. We ducked into a quieter Irish bar for a drink, caught a solo Irish dance performance and listened to the bar band.
The next day we visited the art museum and The Plaza, a shopping district and historic part of the city. After an amazing lunch of (only) cheesecake at The Cheesecake Factory, I checked out American Apparel and bought a bandeau dress that I absolutely LOVE. It's dark blue and, get this, I can wear it with or without straps in at least 15 different styles! It's so versatile that I could even wear it as a shirt or skirt. The pictures don't really do it justice, but the tutorials might give you a better idea of what it can do. I am a big fan of options and creativity and I think it's the perfect summer dress! I could even decide to wear it one way and change my mind mid-evening.
Dinner with family (oh yeah, we were staying with my aunt & uncle) and a trip to the casino ended the evening and we drove home the next morning. And that, my friends, is how you tour Kansas City. Stick with me, I know how to travel. ;) I'm pretty handy with a map, too, so we didn't get lost once.
Tonight I went to an All Star party at the City Museum with a friend that works there and now I'm finally winding down. I would say that was the best weekend I have had in a long time, although last weekend was pretty great, too. Oh, I love summer...and birthdays...and road trips...
No comments:
Post a Comment