A supreme court justice just announced his retirement last weekend, and Obama said he would pick a replacement judge that has "empathy." According to Fox News, this means that Obama wants an "activist" judge, which in turn makes him/her "pro choice." Obviously, "empathy" and "activist" can only describe bleeding heart, crazy liberals...? What does that say about conservatives? Is Fox News implying that pro choice people are more empathetic than pro-lifers?
Somehow, I doubt it, but then I fail to see their logic. I must be missing something. Of course, I am just speculating as well, but maybe, just maybe, Fox News would have manipulated his words regardless of what he actually said. Maybe they jumped to conclusions a little too soon. *gasp* Obama may go with a pro choice judge, sure, but his speech didn't actually reveal anything specific.
I am more surprised at the fact that empathy in a judge is considered such a terrible thing. Maybe I'm naive, but I thought our constitution was at least partially built on empathy, and that empathy and the law can actually co-exist. In fact, if they were mutually exclusive, I'm pretty sure we would be living under some kind of dictatorship...or at least another administration.
P.S. In case you were wondering, that last statement is not meant to imply Bush or anyone in particular. Bush is disqualified, since I'm pretty sure his administration was mostly devoid of both the constitution and empathy. :-o (haha, zing)
No comments:
Post a Comment