- Find your most golden self. Passive, pleasure-oriented contentment is okay (relaxing on a beach, etc.), but eudonic happiness (pursuing excellence) works better. Actively strive for personal growth. Know your unique talents and potential and do something about them.
- Design your life to bring in joy. Spend less time on things you hate and more time on things you like. Everyone has obligations that aren't exactly pleasant, but they don't have to consume your entire day. Even a small shift in the balance can help, so take action.
- Avoid "if only" fantasies. Live in the present, not the future. Don't expect some future occurrence to miraculously solve everything. Once (if) you get that, the excitement will eventually wear off. Instead, switch things up to keep it interesting--try a new hobby or a new spin on something familiar.
- Put best friends first. Social engagement is important, obviously. You get more joy from spending longer periods of time with a close friend, though, as opposed to a bunch of acquaintances. You don't even have to get into anything heavy, just spending time together does the trick.
- Allow yourself to be happy. Don't feel guilty. Sure, you should take care of others, but don't forget yourself. Happy people tend to be more open to helping others and they live longer, too.
A random collection of everyday happenings and ideas in my ridiculous life.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
5 Things Happy People Do
I consider myself to be a pretty happy person, and it has a lot to do with my attitude and perspective. I choose to make the most of what I have and consciously appreciate it. I came across this article called "Five Things Happy People Do," and while I haven't mastered any of these (maybe the best friends one), I think I generally follow these basic rules. I am not a motivational speaker, but here's my summary, based on the article:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment