Friday, January 23, 2009

Flamenco!

I am a little surprised at the number of people who have never really heard of flamenco, so in case you are one of them, watch this. The flamenco part starts at 4:40.

Beth is my teacher. I have been going to class off and on since September or October, I guess, but now I'm going to try to go more consistently. It's just hard to get up at 9 on a Saturday. The class is great, though, because I am actually taking the intermediate (first hour) and advanced (second hour) classes. I catch on to the flowy stuff quickly (love the wrist twists and skirt flips!), but the footwork is really intricate and pretty hard. I love that contrast, though, and the challenge. Taiko has the same kind of dynamic, if you think about it--graceful motions and strong, powerful strikes of the drum. Hmm, I wonder if those contradictions say something about my personality (like...speak softly and carry a big stick; keep them guessing?). Actually yeah, probably.

No comments: