My family went to look at the damage a little yesterday, the parts we were allowed to see up close. The airport (and damage) is actually 1.5 miles from my house, too! Closer than I thought. You can see some of the Bridgeton damage from 70. Before, the houses were mostly hidden by the trees, but now, most of those trees are gone. Huge trees. I used to look at Christmas lights in that neighborhood with my family every year, too. I can't imagine losing everything that quickly. Next time I have to go to the basement for a storm, I am bringing my purse. At least then I will know where to start if something like that happens, God forbid.
I get the sense that even a lot of St. Louisans still don't know what happened. They know there was a tornado somewhere North-ish, sure, but unless they watched the news and saw the leveled houses, I'm not sure they realize this was the worst tornado to hit St. Louis since 1967. It was also the first EF4 in the country so far this year (stay tuned). Tornadoes don't usually hit cities--my cousin with a meteorology degree said that usually the air is too dry, so the worst of the storms go around it. I'm still amazed that no one was really even hurt.
I'm writing about it again because it hits close to home, quite literally. I know more people than I thought in those neighborhoods. There are also some businesses at the Rock Road and 70 that are practically gone. Somehow, an old abandoned house/business is practically untouched, while most of the newer buildings around it are in pieces. The cars in the car dealership were not moved, yet the boats, RVs, airplanes (?) on the storage lot next to it are jumbled together in parts. The digital billboard is down. It's very strange how the tornado seemed to pick and choose what parts to destroy and what parts to leave.
My sister and mom are looking for opportunities to help. As my sister said, she's terrified of tornadoes and she's glad she wasn't in it, so she wants to help those who were. If they go on a weekend, I'll join them, but if it's a weekday I can't. I guess we can help pick up debris, there's so much of it.
1 comment:
Funny you should mention it, but I DO bring my purse when I go to the basement for storms. Lately, I've been "packing" a bag. It has my purse, snacks for the kids for while we're stuck down there, a soft bag of old family jewelry that I couldn't replace (and my engagement ring) and a few other small, sentimental things. Oh, and a book. No more functional tv in the basement. Then, we snuggle onto my old couch from Yuma, which I always liked best, and read and wait for the sirens to stop.
Tornadoes have always been very "hit and miss" with damages. They really are creepy that way, and you always have to be prepared to be the one that gets it, since there is really no way to tell. Not like hurricaines. I saw the giant piece of aluminum roofing curled around the tree (from 70, I think) yesterday. Wind is scary. So glad you are unscathed.
We might buy a replacement car today. Bleh.
Hope your day is a good one. See you tomorrow night!
Post a Comment