Thursday, April 28, 2011

My corner of the world

The fact that I'm writing a post almost makes it seem like I have time for this. Well, I'll just shave off some time from sleeping. That's what weekends are for...well, not Sundays because of taiko...okay, that's what Saturdays are for. This Saturday I'm volunteering to help with tornado clean-up, but I don't have to get up early for that.

Anyway, I don't have an overarching theme or idea for this post, so I'm just going back to my trusty bulleted list of things I've been thinking about:
  • I am almost sure that I'm allergic to mold. This non-stop rain has been killing me.
  • The royal wedding is on in the middle of the night, thank God. Then I can stop hearing about it, right? It's everywhere, and I'm not really sure why. I'm curious about what Kate's dress will look like and that's about it. I'm betting that marrying a prince is not all it's cracked up to be. Better her than me.
  • We should get back to the important news, like Obama's long-form birth certificate. It turns out he's legitimately American...but probably still a socialist muslim, so does the birth certificate mean anything? (I'm kidding, of course.) It seems like all this fodder has more to do with his race than his agenda, and it makes me sick.
  • I just remembered that I used to refer to most "black" people as "brown" when I was a kid, unless their skin was really dark. I would just use it to point out a particular person, in the same way I would call someone "blond." I didn't know that there were categories, and that was nice.
  • If I could ask an evangelical republican any question, it would be: "If you take the abortion issue off the table completely, do you think Jesus would be a democrat or republican? Why?" I just wonder what part of The Bible recommends the "trickle down effect" or that "each man for himself" mentality, for example. I honestly can't figure out how they relate, and I don't know if I will ever see it.
  • On an unrelated note, plans for Peru are finally nailed down! I can't believe I leave in a month. Macchu Picchu, the Nazca Lines, Lima, Cuzco, some islands...this would not have happened if it was up to me to take the initiative. I did a bit of research and we are going through a travel agent, but I feel like I'm basically tagging along. That's okay, it sounds fun, anyway. We landed on South America because there are more active things to do (hiking, doonbuggies, water-related things) than say, walking around Europe. I'll go back to Europe later.
  • I will go back to Europe. I don't say things I don't mean.
  • For the record, I do not cuddle with or do anything more than hug my guy friends, and that applies to this trip. Things are going too well with Mick to chance it on something with absolutely no future. I'm not the kind of girl to blame bad decisions on being drunk, either. I tend to think that's just an excuse to do something you didn't want to take responsibility for when you were sober.
  • Mick's intuition rivals mine, and he's picked up on more facets of my personality in 3 months than some people have in 3 years. I was going to tell you about something we planned to talk about tomorrow, but you'll probably gag. :-P I will say that "I can take down my walls around you..." (plus reasons why) is one of the most perfect things anyone could say to me, and he had no idea how hard I fought and ultimately lost that battle before. I think transparency--being comfortable with vulnerability, sincere and open--is a large part of the foundation in any solid relationship.
  • I think I'm doing a pretty good job of keeping the ghosts of the past away, but some (mean, careless) comments still seep into consciousness. I try to just briefly acknowledge them, let them go, and breathe a sigh of relief. It seems to do a good job of erasing the words, and then I'm just left with a sense of...well, I think it's forgiveness and sympathy, actually. How strange.
  • I've been operating on a level that I didn't even know that I could, in terms of almost everything. I feel inspired.

No comments: