Monday, April 4, 2011

Planning nothing

All day I felt like I was forgetting something, but I've come to the conclusion that the only thing I "forgot" to do was have plans for tonight. I actually planned on not having plans, which is a conscious effort. I'm guessing it's the other way around for most people (making plans as opposed to non-plans). This is nice, I guess. I only did one tiny taiko thing and I'm taking a break from some of the design stuff. Was it wrong for me to say it's hard to make it priority when I have other jobs outside of work that pay me? :-/ Well, I'm sorry but it's true. If I asked you to do your professional job for free in addition to the 45 hours you already spend on it, you probably wouldn't be thrilled, either--especially when it's for the hobby that already takes up the largest chunk of your "free" time. But would you really want to let someone else do "your job?" That's my dilemma. I love design and taiko, but I spend most of time on them already! I'd like to say that you get what you pay for, but I'll suck it up and do my best--just not without some whining. Oh, my new work blog post sort of applies here, I think (making decisions on a whim, 5ish taiko "clients" misdirecting, etc.). Baby steps. I'm warming up to it, but I must say that taiko is my worst client. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

I thought I could watch "How I Met Your Mother" for once, but the stupid basketball game is on. And two hours of "Dancing with the Stars," seriously? I can't even stomach 10 minutes, which is strange, considering my obsession with dance. I used to think it was because it was ballroom dancing and I don't know much about it, but I just realized it probably has more to do with the fact that half the people on the show are not actually dancers! I can tell, maybe even subconsciously, and it bothers me. Some of them might be naturally good dancers or have some training, but I haven't watched it long enough to see them.

In other news, I'm participating in a study for left- and mixed-handed people at SLU on Wednesday. A friend of a friend is doing her dissertation on the link between memory and people with non-dominant right hands. I actually think I lean toward the mixed-handed category, since I can switch hands pretty easily and normally test as "whole-brained," as opposed to left or right. I'm not sure what this study is trying to prove, but I think I have a pretty good visual memory, at least. I also think I tend to remember people in terms of broad strokes/impressions, but I can sometimes remember bits and pieces of information or conversations in great detail. Some have said my memory in personal relationships is too good, but it might be that theirs is either really horrible or they were doing things that shouldn't be remembered. I try to pick up tidbits of information from everyone I meet, though. I'm actually interested in knowing more about them and life in general, so I hate when I forget those things. Now, just don't ask me to remember names or historical details. Good thing I'm going to trivia afterward! ;)

This blog still counts as "nothing," by the way. I actually made dinner, posted a taiko event to facebook, and caught up on some news. I guess I can do that when I'm home all night. I could almost get used to this...like, once or twice a week--three nights if I'm really crazy.

Oh, and I've had "It's hard out here for a pimp" in my head all day, for no particular reason (aside from the obvious). Ha, enjoy:

No comments: