Thursday, April 29, 2010

Recap

What happened in April? Not much, according to this blog, and a little more than that, in terms of real life. Actually, I have been on the go even more than usual, which is apparently possible. To give you an idea...Friday: Fast Eddie's; Saturday: meeting about the Italy trip, Italian movie festival, and a wine bar; Sunday: Earth Day Festival and Funny Bone; Monday: casino; Tuesday: taiko; Wed: trivia...and now I'm here. I skipped practice because my allergies were not improving and I was/still am tired. Tomorrow is a "Full Moon Paddle" on Creve Coeur Lake, weather permitting, and Saturday is a St. Louis Scavenger Hunt! Phew. At least now when I'm busy, it's not because of work.

Basically all of those things include highlights, so where do I begin? Saturday was rather interesting. I finally met the other people that are going on the Italy trip. There are some middle-aged people and then 3 other single girls my age (plus my friend), so I think that will be fine. Plus, I just realized that my favorite non-art teacher from Maryville is going! He was my philosophy teacher, of all things, and the theology at the bottleworks thing I've been going to every month really reminds me of that class. I'm sure the teacher doesn't remember me because I never spoke up (and he's old), but I definitely loved to listen. He's going to lead some discussions in Italy, too! After an early dinner near the tornado that I had no clue was happening (HuHot is awesome!), I picked up my really good friend who was in town for the weekend and we went to the movie (and other stuff).

On Monday, I won a trophy at Toastmaster's...that I get to keep on my desk for a week. Ha. Every week there's a part of the meeting called "Table Topics," where anyone can get up and talk about a designated topic for a minute or two. This time, speakers had to pick out a fortune cookie, open it, and talk about the fortune. Since it's nearly impossible for me to turn down a fortune cookie, or any cookie for that matter, I obliged. Luckily, this cookie actually had a fortune in it, because a couple months ago I received one without a fortune! How ominious. Anyway, this fortune said: "Seek out new adventures and new food." I've been doing that on a fairly regular basis for a couple years, but Japan stuck out in my mind and I talked about the various foods that I ate there. Everyone votes on their favorite speech afterward, and I got the most votes. Kind of cool. Maybe next week the topic will be written on a cupcake and I will be compelled to speak again.

Oh, also on Monday, I discovered that I am slightly allergic to the providone-iodine antiseptic that they put on my arm when I gave blood Friday. (Giving blood was fine, but it stung more than I remembered at first.) I have been suspicious of this iodine sensitivity for months, though, so this backs me up. You see, dark icings like red and black (dark purple and blue) have always tasted disgustingly bitter to me, and I wanted to know why. Not everyone can taste the difference, either, because not everyone is as sensitive to it. It turns out that the taste comes from the iodine in the large amounts food coloring that are required for dark colors. It's also in shellfish, but I don't eat that, anyway. I wouldn't even say I'm allergic to iodine, really, just sensitive to it. So there. I'm not crazy (because of that).

Later on Monday, I won $3.50 of my money on a slot machine at the casino, lost $25 of Joel's at the poker table, and treated us both to Denny's afterward. Haha. Those tables are dangerous at $5 a pop, but we were curious. Oh, we also won 3rd place at trivia last night, which meant we got a shiny dump truck coloring page/poster (no really, parts of it are metallic). I'm hoping Joel will color it for me and I can hang it up at work. ;) Third place is pretty decent, considering we're usually the only team of two among other teams of 5+.

In a quick rundown of other news:
  • Stephen Hawking says aliens probably exist and I agree; I'm not sure they can or will ever communicate with us, though.
  • Speaking of aliens, why is the new immigration law in Arizona so bad? I mean, if you're here illegally, you should just make yourself legal if you want to stay, right? There's some nuance that I haven't considered, I suppose.
  • As much as I hate powerpoint, I would be willing to design the following slide so that it could make some kind of sense to someone. This is why I don't like to let math people near powerpoint. I mean, that's a joke right? Unfortunately, no. This is supposed to explain the situation in Afghanistan to the military. On second thought, it probably conveys that message perfectly:
My brain hurts.

No comments: