Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hodge podge

I think Spring is finally here! Of course, this is St. Louis, but it looks like temperatures are holding steady in the 70's for most of the week. Yesterday was gorgeous, so this week's version of happy hour took place on a patio--actually, two patios. My friend and I had dinner and drinks at one place, then walked across the sidewalk for a dessert martini! I have finally found a martini that I like, and it's...oh, it's chocolate banana. Go figure. I didn't connect that to my chocolate banana obsession in Japan until just now. :) Well, at least I'm consistent.

While I was waiting for my friend to arrive at the first restaurant, a little boy waiting for his mom stopped by my table to tell me that he was going to hockey practice. I was looking at my phone until that point, but I looked up and responded with something like, "Oh cool, that sounds fun." Then he continued on his way. I forgot that random little kids just seem to want my acknowledgment from time to time, especially when I am distracted and forget to smile at them. It's like they know that they have been cheated out of a smile somehow and go out of their way to get one. I have had children that I've never seen before yell "hi" to me from across the street, two doors down, eight tables down, behind me in a store aisle, etc....They will continue saying "hi" until I notice, too, and after I smile and say "hi" back, they go back to whatever they were doing. It's kind of unusual, really. Yes, children can be naturally friendly, but they seem to seek me out, specifically. I respect children, though, and I think adults could learn a lot from them. Maybe they sense that? On a side note, a boy that I babysat about 12 years ago is currently running for alderman in my city! I guess I am officially old.

This weather makes me want to wear a skirt and sandals and ride a bike, but not necessarily at the same time (skirts and bikes don't always mix). The problem is, I don't have many skirts and I haven't owned a bike since I was 13. In an effort to solve part of that, I'm going shopping for more skirts and dresses after work tomorrow. I haven't figured out what to do about the bike yet, but it might have to wait until after Italy because I need a new (working) camera first.

Easter is going to be kind of lame, I think, because the usual family meeting place on my mom's side is being renovated. I'll go to church with my parents and sister and visit my grandpas, but I'm not sure that I'll see much of my extended family. Oh, church. I really feel like a stranger there now, because my pastor of 18 years moved somewhere else. He was/is sort of the last redeeming quality of Catholicism these days, as far as I can tell. Have you been reading the news?

I just realized that after this weekend, I only have two more weekends through the end of June where I have absolutely no plans. I also just realized that in April and May, all of those plans involve a wedding in some way. Plus, the bachelorette party plans are coming together nicely and it should be a blast! I think I just found some more excuses to go dress shopping tomorrow, too.

Happy Easter!

1 comment:

Rosie K Ski said...

Maybe you can borrow a bike from a friend, ride it for a day or two, and return it. ^_^

And I love that rejuvinating Springtime feeling. Enjoy!