I found a mystery present on my chair at work this morning, and I still don't know who put it there. It was a Christmas/winter bag with a mistletoe Santa hat (mistletoe hanging off the top) and a pink cashmere scarf. The scarf was wrapped in tissue paper, but the Santa hat was just placed in the bag without it. Interesting choices. My name was written on the bag and that was it. I asked the secretary if it came from the company, since she hands out the presents, and she said no. No one came by to claim it, either, so now I'm playing detective.
At first, I thought it came from a quirky marketing coworker because it seemed to fit her personality. My name was printed on the bag, though, and she always writes in cursive. (I compared samples.) I already received gifts from my boss and another marketing coworker, so that only leaves one other marketing person in the office, my boss' boss. He's a very nice man, but his assistant is on vacation and I know he wouldn't have done that himself. Anyway, if he had, he would have at least taken credit for it.
Aside from exchanging pleasantries with a few other people at work, I pretty much keep to myself. There is only one other person I can think of that might have put it there. He's about my age and swings by my desk every so often to talk about random things. We started talking when he found out I went to New Zealand, because he had been there, too, and then he kept bugging me to show him my Japan pictures. He is incapable of having a conversation with me without saying something awkward, though. Once, when my boss (which is not his boss) told him to stop bothering me, he joked that she was just jealous because I was more interesting than she was. He has a tendency to sneak up on me when I'm at my desk, too, but not intentionally.
Also, after nearly every conversation, he comes back around about 10 minutes later to apologize for something he said and to make sure I didn't "take it the wrong way," which makes it more awkward. For example, there was a special thing going on some Friday when I happened to be working, and I said that I never know about those things. He smiled and said something like, "You would know if you were usually here on Fridays," which is true--and then he came by to apologize for it later...? I honestly don't know what he's talking about when he apologizes for anything.
Oh God, do you think it's him? I have a slight tendency to collect secret admirers, or rather, guys that are just as shy or shyer than I am. It's annoying, because then I'm always playing detective. Maybe I've learned a thing or two, though. Not that it matters much now, anyway. Maybe I don't even want to know who gave it to me. I'm pretty sure the lack of tissue paper means that it came from a man, though, because men seem to have a certain aversion to it. :) Well, I won't be wearing the mistletoe hat to work, just in case. It still made my day. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go test out this hat on a certain non-coworker.
No comments:
Post a Comment