Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas...and stuff and things

Christmas was nice. I still have to celebrate with some friends, but otherwise, it's over. It was good to see extended family again because I have been seeing them less and less lately, especially on my dad's side. Christmases over there can be overwhelming sometimes, since we have to fit 35 people into my grandpa's average-sized house. Most of my older cousins are married and have 2 or 3 kids, and when some of those kids (boys) were younger, they just ran wild and wrestled all over the house. Almost all of my cousins (in town) are girls and I just never got used to little boys. They've grown up a little since then, though, so even though it's more crowded now, it's less stressful. This was the first year we didn't exchange gifts over there, too (just white elephant), and it was better that way.

Receiving gifts are not a big deal to me, honestly, and I really do think that it's the thought that counts, in most cases. I should mention that Joel got me an ipod to replace my stolen one, though, because it was an awesome and surprising gift. (I was planning on getting a new one eventually, but I couldn't afford it yet.) He got me the same one that I used to have (ipod classic) because he wasn't sure if I would want something else, but he said I could trade it for the ipod touch. At first I just figured I would stick with what I used to have, but now that I am looking into the options, the ipod touch is pretty fancy. My sister (and cousin) has one and let me try it out, and it not only holds music, it has applications and wi-fi. I think I might trade the classic for the ipod touch (which is actually slightly cheaper), but I feel kind of guilty about it. I mean, it's not like I am in any way ungrateful for the original present and I don't want it to seem that way. Hmm, maybe I'll just tell him that. What do you think?

You know, I think we are in a really good place right now, regardless of the gift. :)

And now for something completely different. The fact that I hate comic sans should be a given, but did you know that I hate papyrus even more?! Yes, it is the bane of my existence as a designer, and now it is the font used in Avatar. Any chance of me going to see that movie has now died, because I must boycott the font on principle. Yes, papyrus is also "earthy" and "archaic," and in this case, might actually relate to Avatar, but too many bad, fake designers before them have made papyrus unacceptable for everyone. It's like the punchline of a designer joke and it is so overused. I have seen it used on so many terrible and thoughtless "designs" in menus, church fliers, mom and pop store ads, etc., that I don't even think it's possible to use it in good design. I think people use it because it looks different than the other standard microsoft fonts, but that doesn't make it okay. Besides, any integrity the original typography may have had is completely lost at anything below headline size. I'm pretty sure it is the mark of the devil and will forever taint anything it touches. That's all I have to say about that. In this blog.

Um, well, I have plenty more to say about everything else, but I am running out of time and space, so good night!

No comments: