Saturday, October 10, 2009

Wedding break

I'm killing time between my cousin's wedding and reception. This is the cousin that I haven't seen in over a year because their family stopped coming to family functions years ago. There was never a major falling out, they just gradually stopped coming. I always suspected it had something to do with one of my outspoken aunts, and I just found out that was/is the case. It's an indirect "fight," anyway, because my aunt took some (valid) complaints to city hall and my in-laws that work there didn't like it. They all live in the same city as my grandpa, so we could see them on a regular basis if they weren't so petty. I don't plan on sticking around the reception for too long, even though I bet it will be one hell of a party. My cousin is basically a 22 year old party girl with a ton of friends and expensive taste.

When did we all get so grown up? I went to a girls' night at a friend's house, and she is married and has a 9 month old daughter. Another girl my age (didn't know her) brought her 8 month old--one of 4?! It's weird hanging out with women my age and their babies, but I only know two so far, thankfully. One of my acquaintances is married and one of my best friends will be married in May, but everyone else is still single and only a few even have a boyfriend/girlfriend. Now that I think of it, that might be a little unusual at this age, but society seems to be trending that way. We're all fabulous and career-minded, of course, but not ready to commit ourselves to long-range domestic duties yet. A house, maybe, just not another person. I think that's perfectly okay. We still get to see each other this way. I've noticed that marriage and babies have a way of isolating people from their friends, or at least the ones without those things. It's like a secret society. Don't get me wrong, though, weddings and babies can be beautiful, but they are definitely too much responsibility and maintenance at this point in my life. I'm glad I have enough friends with similar opinions.

1 comment:

crazywriter84 said...

I won't go into all my baby drama here but... you know. I feel too young to have so many weddings/babies going on. But, when most of your friends are 5 years older, I guess it happens.

I would like to have more friends who aren't isolating themselves with spouses/babies.