Friday, October 23, 2009

Halloween fun!

I have most of my Halloween decorations up (inside) and as of today, most of my Halloween costume figured out. I'm going to be a girl scout! A brownie, to be exact. I already had a brown skirt and blouse, but I grew out of my old sash. Luckily, I found a girl scout store less than 10 minutes away! I bought an extra long sash and some patches that suit me--composing art/music/writing, dance, smart cookie (cookies alone are great, but smart cookies are even better), "World Thinking Day" (why can't it be all year?!), and "people are talking" (I don't know why that's a patch, but it's amusing). I'm going to add the official "Girl Scouts U.S.A." patch from my old sash, too. I would even consider adding the patch that I designed, if I knew where it was and I got over the idea of displaying my work in public. Now I just need knee highs and some kind of hat. The girl scout store won't get a shipment of large brownie beanies until either Friday or Monday (Monday's too late), and I'm not sure that will fit, anyway. I do want a tiny hat, but I also want it to fit on my head, which is why I might go with a beret instead. Do they sell those for children? That would be an awesome find. Anyway, I'm kind of excited about the whole idea. I'm going to a costume party on Friday and Saturday.

I even remember the Girl Scout Promise, somehow. Hold up three fingers (right next to each other) and recite it with me: "On my honor, I will try to serve God and my country, to help people at all times, and to live by the Girl Scout Law." I don't even know what the Girl Scout Law is, but I'll work on it....yes I'm a dork, but you know you love it. ;)

I consider Halloween a season, kind of like Christmas. This year I was planning on going on a ghost tour of Alton, but they sold out the day before I could make a reservation! I'm disappointed, but maybe I'll go when they start up again in the spring. At some point, I also want to spend a night at a haunted mansion, I think, either Lemp or some place in Alton. In the meantime, a scary movie like Paranormal Activity and maybe a corn maze should suffice. For some reason, I'm afraid of mazes because I have an irrational fear of not being able to find my way out. Maybe I should check out the Central West End again this year, too. Oh, I just had a flashback to last year. Ha.

I think I'll skip the fake haunted houses this year, though...ooh, flashback to a third date that never should have happened last year. On second thought, I might just skip all of Soulard. :) See, this time last year I decided to be open to "other opportunities," ie. dates, and sure enough, they came along. I cringe a little when I think about it, but I don't regret it, either. What a weird time in my life, though. I wonder how I'll remember this moment in time next year. I guess I should work on making memories first, which means I have to get off the computer. Until next time...

1 comment:

crazywriter84 said...

The Girl Scout Law is long, so don't feel bad about not remembering it. I certainly don't. But I can almost see it in my GS book...