Obama is on David Letterman. Cool. I mean...help! I'm being "indoctrinated"...or something, just like our kids. My good friend Sarah Palin told me that Obama wants to have "death panels" as part of his new health care system, too! All this talk of health care reminds me of that Michael Moore movie that I should have seen. By the way, can you believe I have never seen a Michael Moore movie?
Bill Clinton was on The Daily Show earlier. Even on tv, he has an almost inescapable charm. It just caught my attention when he said, "We're putting a real emphasis on women and girls." Ha yes, I bet you are. I like this renewed emphasis on women's rights, though, and I was just reading a little bit about Michelle Obama. You know how they say behind every great man is a great woman? I think that's true (mothers count, too). I'm just sayin.'
I watched too much tv tonight, but sometimes that's okay. "How I Met Your Mother" and "The Big Bang Theory" are among my favorite shows and I don't get to watch them that often. One of my favorite exchanges of the night came from Sheldon of "The Big Bang Theory," when he ran away to Texas (home) after his friends embarrassed him. It went something like this:
Sheldon: I guess I'll just hang around Texas and teach evolution to the creationists.
His mom: Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Sheldon: Evolution isn't an opinion, it's a fact...(to his friends) I forgive you. Let's go back.
I've read a few things about public opinion on evolution lately and the percentage of people that still don't "believe" it is rather shocking. It's not actually a debate, and I'm pretty sure we are the only developed country that still acts like it is. It's like we've been going backwards, but I hope we are starting to reverse that trend. I just started a book called The Age of American Unreason about the dumbing down of America, so it's been on my mind.
Oh! Friday night was kind of exciting. First, I went to the balloon glow, which is not the exciting part. That's only exciting for like 15 minutes. After that, I met up with some friends at a bar in the Central West End. Along the way, there were some street performers doing fire dancing! That was cool, but also not the exciting part. No, the exciting part happened when I pulled into my driveway at 11:45pm. I opened my car door and fiddled with my ipod for a couple minutes. Then, as I got out of the car and locked the door, a (blond, 20 or 30-something) man came running full speed from the opposite side of the house! He ran a semi-circle around me--cut across the yard, ran down the sidewalk behind my car, and disappeared to the backyard (down the driveway) of the neighbors on the other side of me. In the meantime, I got back in my car, because he was running like someone was chasing him. I'm not sure what he was doing there, but my house was dark and empty--only the living room light was on and no cars were in the driveway or parked in front. People sometimes still use my (aunt's) big backyard as a shortcut, but I don't think that's what this guy was doing. I even sort of remember a truck sitting at the stop sign (facing me) a little longer than normal, but I don't know if that was related in any way. Needless to say, it freaked me out and I didn't sleep well that night. My parents have lived here (directly behind me) 24 years of my life and it has always been a safe neighborhood. The only thing a burglar would want is this computer, anyway, and I like to assume that lightning can't strike twice.
Okay happy thoughts...I'm sort of counting on winning tickets from the Riverfront Times to see Mike Birbiglia, one of my favorite comedians, on Thursday. I just wish that RFT would tell me when I'm going to win, so I don't buy tickets before that happens. I think it's been close to a year since I've won anything, which means I am overdue by something like 6 months. Don't you hate when that happens? ;)
1 comment:
1) I only saw Bowling for Columbine. I fell asleep during the 9/11 one. I think it's both too scary, too much preaching to the choice, and MM is a bit over the top (even for me) so I'm not as interested any more.
2) I recently read the St. Augustine wrote that when things in the Bible are proved wrong my science, we're to believe that the Bible story was meant as a parable. He's from what century? And he got it. What's wrong with religious people in our country?
3) I am also freaked out by the man running around your place. Weird.
Post a Comment