Tuesday, January 25, 2011

All the single ladies

You know, being single is better than I remembered, and I was actually pretty fond of it the last time. I have invitations coming out the...ears (because I'm classy like that), and at least half of them are coming from people that don't even know my situation recently changed. Plus, if the situation's reversed and I find something fun to do, I can usually find someone that wants to come with me--even if they don't, like with yoga, I do it anyway. Oh, and let's just say that I have some interesting male prospects that serve as additional distractions. And possibly a residual weakness for musicians that will probably never go away, but let's not go there. Anyway, um...the attention is kind of ridiculous, but I could maybe get used to it. This whole thing is easier than I thought. Maybe it's because I understand the importance of letting go--whatever happens happens. I'll make it through, and I'll probably end up better and stronger than I was before. I guess it's too soon to say if I'll have some kind of relapse and I still have fleeting moments of sadness, but otherwise I'm really doing well.

I'm also embracing and acknowledging my true worth and individuality. I am a catch and I'm not going to waste time on anyone who needs me to spell it out for them or assumes that I'm usually putting my well-being ahead of his (when I'm not). If I had made a habit of the latter, I would have left a long time ago, no question! I finally started giving my well-being more clout in the end, though (and certainly now). Even in hindsight, when I'm trying to be brutally honest about my role in the relationship's demise and could benefit from a revelation like "I actually wasn't trying to help him there and it was more about me," most of the time it still doesn't fit. Of course, I wasn't perfect, but I gave it my all and I truly think I cared about him in ways that he couldn't even understand, let alone accept. His loss.

You know what's kind of funny? My first roommate, whom I haven't talked to in possibly a year, contacted me the other day to ask if I would consider being a part of a photography series on empowered women. She's in charge of a local marketing campaign and wants to take some pictures of me playing taiko and possibly dancing, I think. Ha! I think I'll actually take her up on it. I mean, why not? I definitely belong there. :)

No comments: