Friday, August 13, 2010

Pre-weekend boredom

The good part about leaving work early on a Friday afternoon is that I don't have to work or do anything in particular. The bad part is that almost everyone else still does, so I have to wait for their day to be over before we can play. Sure, I could clean my room or whatever--I will, eventually, but didn't I just do that a few days ago?

Anyway, I'm in the mood to write again. I've been inspired lately, I guess. My profile picture on facebook (jumping at the top of the mountain) is generally how I've been feeling. I'm skydiving with Eddie next weekend, too, which should make it that much better. I've been saying for a while that roller coasters are enjoyable but they don't get my adrenaline going, so I figure skydiving should do the trick. I'm still a little nervous about it because I have been given too much time to think about it, though. I decided to go bungee jumping like 15 minutes before I actually went, so I kind of wish skydiving happened the same way. You know, like I'd be taking a nice little ride on an airplane and then someone would offer me a parachute and the chance to jump. After a few minutes of training, I'd probably be crazy enough to do it. I'm crazy enough to do it now, anyway, but more nervous than I would be if it happened spontaneously. I wonder if preferring a (15 minute warning) spontaneous skydive over one that's planned two weeks in advance just makes me sound crazier.

That reminds me of the "passion for adventure and excitement" line in my new work bio. I was actually surprised that the writer put that in there. It's true, I just don't think many people pick up on that unless they know me well. I remember this writer once telling me I was "secretly cool," though, so I guess I'll take it. I just normally come across as the Quiet Girl, which tends to translate as "boring" and "safe." I'm not exactly "unsafe," but I enjoy taking measured risks for my own personal thrills and I like to think that I'm not that boring, so whatever. As a side note on the bio, the original opening line said I was known around the world as a "highly skilled taiko drumming machine" and I asked him to take out the "highly skilled" part. I'm not sure I would even say I'm "highly" skilled in the local group. (That's probably why I'm so annoyed by someone I consider to be an overly cocky taiko player.) We debated the "worldwide" part, too, but I figured if Japan knew about the group, he could leave it. I didn't even want to debate the "master" of the dance thing after that, although I just told him those are dance forms that I had tried. I was kind of hoping he would mention that I always wanted to be an artist and that I was a seasoned coloring contest winner at a young age, but he ran out of time.

Speaking of creative pursuits, today is International Left Hander's Day! I'm not sure if it's officially been proven or not, but I think that lefties really do tend to be more creative. Joel's left-handed and he's noticed that about musicians, too. Left-handed people make up only 10% of the population, but they probably make up about 40% of my social circle. Not all of them have active creative pursuits, but those that do tend to be especially good at them.

Lefties also tend to be especially evil, according to history. "Sinister" means "left" in Latin and similar things in many other languages. If you wrote with your left hand, you probably were also posessed by the devil. If I were conservative, I would place a political joke about the left here, but instead I'll let you use your imagination.

Well, I think I have killed enough of my time and wasted enough of yours, so I won't bother you for the rest of the weekend (unless we have a phone date). Have a good one!

1 comment:

Rosie K Ski said...

Love the bio. I wish I had my own personal cheerleader. ;)

Happy landings for your skydiving adventure!