Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Monogamory

It's such a beautiful day! Too bad I'm stuck inside all day, and even all night, until Friday. Tonight I'll be inside on my own accord, since it's Theology at the Bottleworks night. This month's topic is monogamy, so that should be interesting. I'm pretty sure monogamy is still ultimately the best choice, but polyamory seems more reasonable than I used to think. Personally, I am just allowing myself to be somewhat romantically interested in more than one person at a time (in a practice known as "casual dating," I believe). Polyamory is just like a...more thorough investigation of that, right? I don't know how it would ever work long-term, but it seems like it could be fun for a few months--not that I've decided to go there, I'm just sayin.' Decisions and commitment are hard sometimes, especially once I allow myself to have options. ;)

Oddly enough, a site that I regularly visit had an article about it today. It was talking about what it means for a relationship to "work," and how that applies to different forms of relationships. Does "working" have to mean that you must be together forever? Chances of that are rather slim these days. Instead, they (quoting Dan Savage) offered this alternate definition: “Did you get something out it? Was it good for you, was it good for them? Did you grow in this relationship? Do you look back on it with some fondness? In that sense, polyamorous relationships can work, monogamous relationships can work, they can all work ... If everybody had a great time and you emerged friends and you felt intimacy and connection and you learned and you grew in that relationship, it f**king worked even if you outlived it.” You know, I feel pretty good about most parts of that. C'est la vie.

No comments: