Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Affairs of the heart

I didn't write the part after this intro, but I thought it was touching. It was written by an old coworker about another old coworker that I run into fairly regularly (he lives close and sometimes works next door). He's a good guy, and one of two people I know that has had a serious heart attack in just the past week. Even if some of the following doesn't fully apply to me, my stupid heart was also just figuratively weakened and broken, and it is quickly on the mend. (It could very well leave a figurative scar, though.) I think I've been mostly keeping it in perspective, but sometimes we can all use this kind of reminder:

'Tis the season for affairs of the heart.

Mine was broken into a million tiny pieces, the Friday before Valentine's Day.

The dreams I had, the future I envisioned...one day it was there, and the next, it was gone.

But my heart is merely broken.

Yesterday, my friend had a heart attack. I don't know all the details.

"Massive heart attack."

"Extensive damage."

"ICU."

My broken heart warrants none of these descriptors. It hurts. It aches like crazy. I don't understand why this happened, not really.

But I'm sure if my friend were able, he'd wonder the same things.

Why me?

What could I have done differently?

What about my kids? How will it affect them, seeing me this way?

He's fighting for his life. He can't suck it up.

But I can.

Dear friend, I'm sorry for making such a big deal about my broken heart.

Screw my stupid heart. It's a sucker. It loves people that don't love it back.

I'm praying for the swift and 100% recovery of yours.

1 comment:

crazywriter84 said...

That made me tear up a bit :(