Sunday, July 18, 2010

Procrastination

I don't have time for this, really, but I can't focus on those posters that I'm supposed to be doing. You know you're having problems with procrastination when you subconsciously create a song about it. The song I am currently replaying in my head is based on the Sesame Street "Cooperation" song from my childhood, only my version goes: "Procrastination makes it happen, procrastination working together (dig it)." Catchy, right? And totally inaccurate. I blame the Sesame Street reference on the fact that Joel is going to Alaska soon, because that reminded me of another old song called "Ookyook." It seems like they played that song all the time. So cute!

Work is going pretty well, I think. My first project is to make an events poster for the office. All the designers have made one with a range of themes. Mine is going to be in the style of a 1950's monster movie poster because it's a cool style and I was on an old movie kick not too long ago. They pretty much have three things in common: 1. They are mostly illustration with cool, hand drawn type, 2. There is a woman struggling to break free/fainting from the monster (in half of them), 3. People are running/gasping in horror. Since it's for October-December, the monster is going to be a godzilla-sized turkey (Turkilla Strikes Back) possibly flailing in front of a background of fire, maybe carrying a woman, and getting shot at from the ground/helicopter. I'm struggling with turning it into a painting in photoshop, though. Hopefully by the end, I will get it.

I like my co-workers and I've gone to lunch and/or drinks with them (drinks just today and Friday) every day so far. Aside from my boss who's in his early 40's, maybe, they're all basically my age or a few years older. They're either newlyweds or single and most don't have kids. I think our personalities mesh well. I can get along with almost anyone, but that doesn't always (or usually) mean I feel like I belong with the group. I just tend to be kind of "different" in most cases, which is not always a bad thing. It's nice to naturally belong to a group sometimes, though. At an agency, we're like the same or similar brands of "different." We get it. It's nice.

Three people that I work with used to be at Momentum. At least two other people worked with or went to college with friends that are not in the business at all. (Melissa--One is good friends with David from JFK!) St. Louis really is like a big small town in some ways.

I'm still trying to gauge the potential time commitment required for this job, but it sounds like I can leave around 6 most days. As long as it's not consistently later than that like at Momentum, that's fine. I don't know if I could go back to that kind of schedule after I've had a taste of a normal 9-5 job. I was asking a co-worker (28 and newly married, for some background) about what it's typically like and she said that some people at the company work late more consistently, but she makes sure she never stays too late. Her home life trumps work. I told her my concerns and she just said to stay true to myself. I think I've gotten pretty good at that, anyway, and am not that susceptible to being overworked anymore. Sometimes I can get a little lost in it, but that's usually a good sign. The days already seem to be moving 10 times faster than they did at the insurance company and I hardly have any projects yet.

Hmm, sometimes I get lost in writing, too. Time for bed!

1 comment:

crazywriter84 said...

Glad the new job is starting on the right foot! And yeah, it's just a small world.