Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I'm back (for now)

I have been neglecting my blog for too long, but not because I don't have things to write about. The problem is, where do I begin? Well, let's just say that May has been eventful, mostly in a good way. Every weekend this month involves something pertaining to my friend's or my cousins' weddings. Three weddings is a bit of wedding overload, especially since I (unofficially) care about some weddings more than others. Next month I am treating myself to Italy, though!

I am giving a toast at Sarah's wedding this weekend. I practiced it at the Toastmaster's meeting on Monday and got good reviews. It's only 3 minutes long, but it says what I want it to say. I am a decent writer, you know. ;) (Really!) Brevity, sincerity, and some light humor are the keys to a good Maid of Honor speech, I think. No crying, either...until possibly the end, but that's why I put that part at the end. I didn't even use my notes; however, I also barely used my hands and they called me out on it! I told them I usually go overboard with the hand gestures and my friends laugh at me, so I was trying to tone it down. They said not to listen to that. So there. I plan on holding the microphone or glass in my left hand, anyway, because it tends to have a mind of it's own. Wish me luck!

Let's see, what else? Oh, someone that I interviewed with 2 years ago finally has an opening and wants to interview me again. I kind of liked the place and the interview went well the first time, so I'm open to it. The problem is, I don't know where I can find the time. I'm taking a training course tomorrow and a half day Friday (rehearsal dinner), plus I'm off for two weeks in June. I can't exactly take more time off before that, and the ad agency is inconveniently located downtown. He wants to interview soon, so we'll see if/how we can coordinate it. He offered to meet somewhere by my office. Someone else that I interviewed with 2 years ago also contacted me recently to keep in touch. I really loved that place and the interview, but then they had a hiring freeze and...the rest is history. Maybe some day I'll make my way back there.

In the meantime, I'm trudging along at a safe, low-stress company that pays well. It could definitely be worse. I really thrive on putting out "fires," though, and that never comes up at my current job. They're less like fires and more like...I don't know, almost burning the popcorn in the microwave. Nothing to get too worked up about. Come to think of it, someone literally burned some popcorn today, and there was more excitement around that than there probably should have been. It is a work comp company, after all. Danger potentially lurks around every corner. You can't really blame them, since they spend all day analyzing other peoples' accidents.
That reminds me about something I read recently. Actually, it deserves it's own post. To be continued...

No comments: