It was really nice to get away for the weekend. The two hour drive (each way) helped clear my head and once I got there, I caught up with Sarah. I got my dress, too! I think I'm okay now, just not quite back to normal. For example, when I got home, my next door neighbor was outside and asked me how I was doing. I answered "Alright, how are you?" and he responded, "Alright, I guess." Normally, this would have sparked an additional response from me, like maybe, "You guess?", but I decided I wasn't in the mood to hear the explanation. I don't know him that well, anyway, but that usually doesn't matter. There's a saying that goes, "Friends are those rare people that ask you how you are and then wait for the answer." I wait for the answer no matter who it is, but it seems like most people will just say something like "fine," whether it's true or not. I hate those times when I have to lie about it. "Alright" was not a lie, though. "Fine" would be kind of pushing it. I think I'll get there soon, though. I've been full of revelations lately.
I plan on continuing this little break into Tuesday by taking a day off of taiko. I haven't missed a weekday practice since the leader took a break a couple months ago, although I probably should have once or twice because of a cold. Practice will be fine without me. As long as we keep breaking things down and drilling them, I am more than happy to lay low. I wish we had enough people there on a regular basis to break into smaller groups, though. I want people to learn things at their skill level, but that only works if there are enough people and resources to warrant it. Basically, my goal was to raise the bar on what should be considered "performance level" and I think we are doing that. I'm not totally sure that everyone sees it that way, though. "Learning new stuff" shouldn't be much of a concern if you haven't nailed the basics first. Isn't that a given when you learn anything? I think that's especially important in music and dance, too.
Speaking of basics, I'm starting an Italian class tomorrow after work! I think the class only meets four times total, but I will at least know more than the nothing that I know right now. The book is called Italian In 10 Minutes A Day and it comes with a cd. The problem is, they fail to mention how many days. Ha. I could probably learn this on my own, but the class gives me more motivation. I took Spanish for 4 years, too, so I'm hoping Italian is similar enough that I can learn something useful in a relatively short time. The trip is less than 3 months away! Oh wow, there's so much to do between now and then. My first order of business is to take a deep breath, smile, and get some rest. I suppose the second order of business must be...going back to business. I think I'm starting to like Mondays, though.
Mondays at lunch I've been sitting in on a Toastmasters meeting, a service offered through work. It's basically a speech class, which is good, in theory. I'm not officially in it yet, but once I join, I will start by giving a speech about myself. I should have that covered, since I know myself. Sometimes it's uncanny how well I know other people, too. I would even say that occasionally, I know others better than they know themselves, but it's practically impossible to broach that subject without sounding presumptuous.
Keen intuition is both an asset and a liability, but I guess those things come with the territory. You know, sometimes I really feel like The Giver, from that book that I read in 6th grade. Hmm, maybe it's time to read that again. The Giver, 1984, Brave New World...now that's the kind of sci fi that I can get into. Right now, though, I just want to get into bed. Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment